Somerset House Trust are seeking maternity cover for the role of Head of Corporate Events. This position will lead the Corporate Events department, optimising revenue generation from Somerset House’s event spaces and identifying new business opportunities to achieve – and exceed – the £2million revenue target. You will also be responsible for overseeing the successful delivery of exceptional client events, whilst minimising any impact on the wider site and developing strong working relationships both on site and externally.
The successful candidate will have solid previous experience in a similar role, including management, preferably within a unique venue with public spaces, as well as commercial awareness and demonstrable strategic and business development skills.
Contract type: Full-time, fixed-term (9-12 months)
Benefits: 25 days holiday (pro rata), 8% employer pension contribution
Deadline: Monday 23 Sep 2019, 17.00
- Responsible for setting, managing and delivering the annual income/profit targets – reviewing the budget monthly and reforecasting where necessary.
- Deliver a strategy which will allow the business to achieve a £2m per annum revenue, whilst maintaining the cultural and artistic vision of the venue.
- Work closely with the Business Development Manager on the department’s marketing strategy - analyse sales patterns, market trends, and identify potential areas for growth.
- Identify new business opportunities and lead the sales process for larger events and commercial exhibitions
- Work closely with Senior Event Manager to ensure sales targets are met
- Ensure effective processes to enable yearly comparisons and a strong understanding of which marketing activity produces the greatest return on investment.
- Work closely with the Sales team to ensure that Somerset House is represented at events such as trade shows, industry networking events and within associations such as Unique Venues of London.
- Work closely with – and line manage - the Deputy Head of Events, Business Development Manager and Senior Event Manager to ensure the smooth delivery of events and to minimise the impact of corporate hires upon the wider site.
- Work closely with the team to ensure a consistently strong focus on customer service, all the way from initial enquiry through to post event debrief.
- Support, lead and develop the team - meeting regularly to ensure they remain motivated and are delivering high quality events whilst meeting targets
- Oversee and support the department’s exhibition hires – Collect, Sony World Photography Awards, Photo London, 1:54 Contemporary African Art Fair and London Design Biennale.
On Site Relationships and External Suppliers
- Develop strong working relationships with the Catering and Facilities teams to ensure clear, open communication and the smooth running of events.
- Oversee the annual supplier review and accreditation process and manage the supplier relationships (together with the Event Managers).
- Develop relationships with Kings College London and the Courtauld Institute of Art to aid the operational delivery of events taking place across the wider site.
- Work closely and creatively with all Somerset House Trust departments to maximise opportunities where possible.
For the full job description, inclduing person specification, please visit our website
For the full job description and link to our application form please visit: