Head of Commercial Development, Wellcome Collection (12 month Fixed Term Contract)
Wellcome is a politically and financially independent global charitable foundation, funded by a £29 billion investment portfolio, Wellcome supports discovery research into life, health and wellbeing, and we’re taking on the three worldwide health challenges: mental health, climate change and health, and infectious disease. These challenges need the bold science we support, but they won’t be solved by science alone.
Wellcome Collection is a free museum and library that aims to challenge how we all think and feel about health. Through exhibitions, collections, live programming, digital, broadcast and publishing, we create opportunities for people to think deeply about the links between science, medicine, life and art.
Where in Wellcome will I be working?
Wellcome Collection is developing a new strategy this year that will set a course for a compelling future, making this an exciting time to join our team
You will be working within the Commercial Development team, part of the Wellcome Collection Operations department. It is one of four teams that help to look after Wellcome Collection; the others are Collections & Research, Digital Engagement and Public Programmes supported by an extended group of colleagues across Wellcome including Finance, Marketing, Legal and Facilities Management.
Wellcome Collection Operations consists of Commercial Development, Library Experience & Engagement and Visitor Experience teams. We help to create the unique fizz of WC by;
Enabling access to information, collections, experiences and services
Generating profit through high quality experiences
Collaborating to make thought provoking content
Enabling audiences to critically engage with that content
All of this will be facilitated through the lens of our Access, Diversity & Inclusion strategic direction.
What will I be doing?
The post holder will be leading a Commercial Development team of seven – The Venue Hire team including a Sales Manager and Events Executives and a Retail team of Retail Manager and Stock Assistant. Together you will deliver a high-quality experience and achieve stretch commercial targets through Venue hire, retail and catering.
In this role you will;
- Lead the commercial development portfolio of a world leading visitor destination typically welcoming up to 600,000 visits each year
- Support the museum and library to meet its strategic objectives by striking a delicate balance between generating increased profit for the enterprise company, Wellcome Trust Trading Limited (WTTL), at the same time as supporting the overall visitor experience and brand values
- Be accountable for managing budgets of £2m working closely with colleagues in Wellcome’s finance team reporting regularly on commercial performance and KPIs
- Manage and motivate a high performing team to deliver commercial objectives
- We are looking for someone with experience:
- Operating in a complex commercial environment with growing revenue
- Managing budgets and a proven track record of successful income generation demonstrating consistent delivery against commercial targets
- Delivering both small and large scale projects, such as: re-tendering contracts, managing e:commerce solutions, launching retail operations, negotiating and securing partnerships with major brands / significant artists
- Developing and implementing new ideas / new ways of working / introducing new concepts that enhance / develop and grow revenue
Salary - £68,245
Closing date – 26/01/22
Contract type: 12 month Fixed Term Contract
To apply please upload your current CV and complete our short application form here.
You can view the full job description here
We understand that our colleagues have commitments and outside work and we strive to build a flexible working environment, in which people can perform at their best. The Commercial team is principally working on site to deliver its work. As part of a Wellcome hybrid working pilot (currently scheduled until April 2022), where possible, some staff is working flexibly to include 2 days per week on site (Tuesdays and Wednesdays) from our Euston Road offices with the remaining 3 days from home.
You can read more about the benefits we offer our employees here
Diversity and Inclusion is a priority at Wellcome. We are committed to cultivating a fair and healthy environment, where everyone can be themselves and thrive. We are happy to discuss flexible working options for all roles. We work to ensure that our recruitment processes are as inclusive as possible to everyone. This includes making adjustments for people who have a disability or long-term condition. If you would like us to make adjustments during the application process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.