Reporting to: Sales & Marketing Manager
Based at: RSA House
Harbour & Jones is one of the UK's most innovative contract catering, hospitality and food services companies. We create imaginative tailor-made food and catering solutions for our clients, delivered with exceptional service.
The Client (the venue)
The RSA is an enlightenment organisation that seeks to understand and enhance human potential, located in the heart of the West End. It is dependent on revenue from external events, fellowship subscriptions, sponsorship and donations in order to carry out this important work.
Throughout its history, the RSA has extended a welcome to others looking for a place to discuss their ideas.
RSA House has 11 unique and atmospheric events spaces including the Great Room, Benjamin Franklin and Historic Vaults, providing rooms for use for all types of events. At weekends the building can be hired for exclusive use.
In 2017 the venue has been awarded Best Wedding Venue at the Hire Space Awards, and Silver for Catering at the London Venue Awards.
What makes us different?
We believe that great food comes from great ingredients. We use seasonal British produce, cook it simply and let the food speak for itself. We also believe that you won’t find a group of people more passionate about food and what we create than at Harbour & Jones.
This role is based in a prestigious and award winning events & hospitality venue hosting weddings, banquet dining, corporate receptions, conferences, meetings and show cases with a combined venue & catering turnover around £3m per annum.
We work within a family of venues who are very supportive to each other.
A key role within a team of 5; responsible for selling weddings and private events under the leadership of the Sales & Marketing Manager and venue General Manager, with responsibility for selling and administrating to meet revenue targets.
Weddings and private events are a growing segment at the RSA and this role allows ownership of the vision and plans to proactively develop this important market.
The role requires a strong understanding of marketing approaches and channels. Full responsibility for managing our supplier relationships, negotiating preferred agreements, and renewing all online listings and content as well as managing our social media platforms, is key. There are also opportunities to attend industry exhibitions, plan showcases with our sister venues and network within the events managed by the wider team.
This position is full-time 5 days out of 7 and flexibility is expected to meet with the business needs. This includes operational responsibilities for weddings on the day working in conjunction with the operations team and/or hosting site visits and client meetings during evenings, weekends and possibly bank holidays.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Sales and Event Coordination
- Have excellent knowledge of venue capabilities, capacities, unique selling points and pricing
- Follow up on all enquiries within 24 hours and record in the system with follow up activities
- Timely preparation of quotations, contracts and function sheets
- Refer enquiries across our group of venues when appropriate
- Conduct show rounds and assist with familiarisation trips and menu tastings
- Accurately create contracts and raise invoices
- Meet and greet clients at events as agreed
- Represent venue at trade shows and exhibitions and support Harbour & Jones family- led hospitality
- Record and share all client feedback and seek to resolve all client queries
- To maintain and develop relationships with existing and new clients with focus on wedding and private bookers including 3rd party agents/bloggers/vloggers
- To plan and host the annual showcase
- To create objectives and creative plans to develop/grow the weddings business
- To keep up to date all online listings and manage subscription renewals
- Complete regular competitor analysis
- To update the weddings section of the RSA website
- To actively contribute to newsletter content
- To manage the weddings social media channels and provide plans for content
- To research new, and attend, networking and promotional hospitality events
- To communicate and research wedding industry trends in food, service and creative selling
- To draft applications for relevant wedding industry awards and attend related events
- Focusing on establishing good working relationships with our clients and agents, dealing with their bookings from enquiry to event date
- Participate in events meetings with the operations teams
- To maintain and develop relationships with suppliers
Administration and Organisation
- Manage administration of event sheets for your own bookings as well as assisting the wider team when required. Communicate accurate event operational information to H+J and RSA operations
- Accurately raise invoices and take responsibility for receipt of payments
- Respond to e mail enquiries in a timely manner, ensuring your own and the shared inboxes are all up to date
- Maintain and update venue sales database; regularly increasing the quantity of contacts and improving quality
The ideal candidate:
- Has previous experience in wedding planning and event sales and marketing, preferably in a 5 star hotel or unique venue
- Has digital marketing and social media experience
- Has refined oral and written communication skills
- Has strong negotiation skills
- Has excellent attention to detail
- Has excellent organisation and time management skills
- Has excellent numeracy skills
- Is customer focused
- Is highly competent in use of MS Office and diary management system Rendezvous (or similar)
- Is proactive and self-motivated
- Is able to work well under pressure
- Is enthusiastic and committed to the job and brings creative new ideas to the table
- Is a team player
- Is passionate about food
This job description and person specification is desired guideline but not exhaustive. You may be asked to perform other duties which are not detailed but are in line with the general purpose of your job role and we reserve the right to make changes to this job description as appropriate.
Hours: 40 per week Salary: £26,000-£28,000 paid according to experience, per annum
If this sounds like you, then please forward us your CV and a cover letter explaining your suitability for the role.
**All Applicants must be eligible to live and work in the UK**