The ceiling of the Dining room, designed by John Vardy in 1756 but based by him on Inigo Jones’s ceiling in the Banqueting House, Whitehall, has been carefully restored after damage during the second world war, while the frieze with festoons of laurel (sacred to Apollo) derives from the temple of Fortuna Virilis in Rome.
The two console tables showing Bacchus the God of Wine flanked by vines and winged panthers are original to the House. The second Earl Spencer removed these and were later sold. The two tables were acquired by the Victoria and Albert Museum and Temple Newsam in Leeds. The tables were returned to their original locations, following the restoration of Spencer House.
Today the Dining Room is used for wedding ceremonies, receptions, and presentations for clients hiring the House.
For further details on holding an event at Spencer House, please contact the team: email@example.com